Name: Peter Lopez
Job title: Bartender, Kuro
Year started Hard Rock: 2015
- Have you changed job titles since you started at Hard Rock? If so, what was your first position?
I’ve worked on Seminole Hard Rock Hollywood’s property since 2008, bartending for Martorano’s and (formerly) Tatu in Seminole Paradise. I joined the Kuro team in 2015 as a bartender.
- We’d like to get to know you more. In a paragraph, tell us a little about yourself and share one fun fact that we may not be aware of.
I was born and raised in Hollywood, Florida. I’m working on a bachelor’s degree in business from Broward College. I started bartending at 18 and managing restaurants at 21.
In my free time, I love to surf and travel; internationally, I’ve been to Paris, El Salvador and Costa Rica. I also love sushi. Kuro’s Seared Salmon Sashimi is my favorite; it’s the best.
- Let’s take a look inside “a day in the life” of you. Name at least five key responsibilities that make up the core of your position.
- Prepping Kuro’s bar with fresh ingredients, including exotic garnishes and fresh juices, as well as house-made syrups that are used in our ever-evolving, handcrafted cocktails.
- Providing exemplary service to each and every guest who visits Kuro and ensuring that their experience is nothing short of fantastic from start to finish.
- Engaging in daily training that keeps us knowledgeable on all of the products and liquors used, as well as the history behind them, while also taking the opportunity to educate and involve our guests in the process.
- Experimenting with mixology using our creativity and imaginations to bring something new to the table and menu whenever possible.
- Keeping the bar standard as high as possible and working collaboratively with my team members to continue to take Kuro’s mixology to the next level.
- What is your individual rock star approach to being spectacular at your job?
I genuinely enjoy what I do! Being a bartender, you have the opportunity to meet new people every single day. Being on a first-name basis with thousands of people is incredible. Kuro’s social atmosphere makes it a really fun place to work.
- What do you love the most about your job, and being a part of the Seminole Hard Rock family?
What I love the most is that Kuro and Seminole Hard Rock offer so much room to grow as an employee; I’m constantly challenged to take my bartending and mixology skills to the next level. It’s never the same day twice, and I’m always learning something new. I also really love being a part of the Kuro team and getting involved in the amazing events that Kuro puts on, whether it be taking part in the South Beach Food and Wine Festival, the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival or any other event.
- What is your most fond memory since Day 1 at Hard Rock with a guest or fellow staff?
Kuro’s participation in the 2015 South Beach Wine & Food Festival is definitely one of my favorite Hard Rock Hollywood memories. The energy at the event was ridiculous! I’m really looking forward to Kuro’s “New Style Remix” event that’s part of SOBEWFF’s 2016 lineup. The dinner will be hosted by celeb chef Justin Warner and our own Chef Alex Becker, and Felix da Housecat will be DJ’ing the after-party.