Name: Maggie Hyams
Job title: Cook, Kuro
Year started Seminole Hard Rock: 2014
- Have you changed job titles since you started at Seminole Hard Rock? If so, what was your first position?
When I first started working for Seminole Gaming in 2012, I was a buffet cook at Fresh Harvest at the Seminole Casino Coconut Creek property. From there, I became a line cook at Sorrisi and then went to work for NYY Steak. When I started at the Hollywood property in 2014, I was an action cook in Plum Lounge before joining the Kuro team.
- We’d like to get to know you more. In a paragraph, tell us a little about yourself (interests, background, etc.) and share one fun fact that we may not be aware of.
I was born and raised in South Florida with two older brothers. I grew up very active in sports like wakeboarding, BMX, motocross and others throughout high school. I spent seven years playing indoor and beach volleyball for nationally ranked teams and clubs, spending a lot of time traveling. I also really enjoy dancing!
I’ve also carried a passion for food and cooking throughout my life and have always enjoyed serving others. I did not attend culinary school but hope to take some courses in the future to further my career. I come from a large and loving family, so working for Seminole Gaming makes me feel right at home.
- Let’s take a look inside “a day in the life” of you. Name at least five key responsibilities that make up the core of your position.
Five key responsibilities for my job would consist of communication with my chefs and co-workers, as well as being able to properly communicate and assist guests with questions; being fresh and alert on the job, because this is a fast-paced kitchen, and it’s crucial to always be aware of your surroundings; ensuring quality control, because fresh ingredients equal fresh food; staying up-to-date on casino events, such as concerts and poker tournaments, as well as Kuro special events and new menu items, so that I’m prepared for any questions our guests might have; and lending a hand to my teammates when needed … a kitchen is like a band, and it just doesn’t sound right if everyone isn’t working efficiently.
- What is your individual rock star approach to being spectacular at your job?
My rock star approach is to always do my best and give our guests the best experience possible. There is nothing more rewarding than being able to elevate a guest’s experience through special attention and genuine conversation.
- What do you love the most about your job and being a part of the Seminole Hard Rock family?
What I love most about my job is the family atmosphere and culture that exists among team members at Seminole Gaming. There is always a sense of unity and protection on property, and at Kuro, we are a close-knit family unit. The people I work with have become the same people I celebrate with, share meals with and go through life’s ups and downs with; these lasting friendships wouldn’t be possible without Seminole Gaming.
- What is your most fond memory since Day 1 at Seminole Hard Rock with a guest or fellow team member?
My most fond memory is Orientation with Sasha and Arshley from Human Resources. They made the orientation process fun and interesting. They even remembered me the following day, which made me feel very welcomed to the property!